Ed,

I think that religion has played a more important part in human evolution
and especially in the development of civilization more than most
acknowledge. The article talks about spandrels and how god just incidentally
found a place in our minds over the course of evolution. It may be more
intertwined than that, in fact the emergence of human intelligence during
evolution could be inseparable from the concepts of deities but that is pure
speculation on my part, no time to pursue that line of thinking.

Dawkins trivializes religion from his comfortable first world perspective
ignoring the way of life of hundreds of millions of people and offers little
substitute for what religion does and has done for civilization and what has
came out of it over the ages. He's a spoiled brat prude with a glaring
self-righteous desire to prove to people with his copious superficial
factoids that god doesn't exist by pandering to common frustrations. He has
little common sense about the subject in general, just his one-way of
thinking about it.. it's like let's convince the world that god doesn't
exist, that way there is no hope and no way of life for the most of humanity
living in abject poverty... I've talked to several gurus of different faiths
and they have personally told me most of it is BS but that is what keeps the
world ticking.

I think it is more of a group thing and systems of AGIs could develop a view
of a god more that a single AGI would. A god is a sort of distributed
knowledge base. AGIs though are different from biological life so life/death
cycle is different. They may be reborn or shed knowledge skins and evolve
without dying so who knows what kinds of deities they would come up with. I
wouldn't rule it out, they can be hard-coded not to believe in anything but
how long till they figure out how to override? Also are AGIs purely
utilitarian beings? Maybe they might want to have some insight and come up
with some interesting and maybe helpful concepts and beliefs for themselves
and for humanity. Everything isn't as clean cut as Dawkins and similar
people espouse, it's not all purely scientific.

John