On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jonathan El-Bizri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Jim Bromer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There is a another reason why embodied agi is useful.  That is because
>> the challenge will provide some discipline for the programmer who
>> might otherwise never confront the structural problems that I believe
>> are fundamental to the problem of developing genuine agi.
>> Jim Bromer
>
> I don't follow. I can conceive of non-embodied intellect: an intellect that
> can only interact with aspects of itself, though such a thing would be
> pointless and, from our current point of view, (even more) unpossible to
> build.

That wouldn't make any sense and that is not what I was talking about.

> As I understand it, embodiments fundamental advantage is in the creation of
> an environment cognitively similar to our own for AGI development, so that
> we can utilize cognitive models and understanding we already have, in order
> to develop an intellect. An aid for the programmer, rather than mandatory
> aspect AGI.
> Jonathan El-bizri

Right, what I am saying is that embodiment is not a necessary
component of advanced AGI.  There is no question that embodiment, such
as a virtual reality, can provide the programmer with certain
advantages, but on this point my argument is that the leverage that
these advantages can provide comes at a cost.  To maximize these
advantages the programmer begins using short cuts based on the
paradigm he is using and the techniques used the virtual reality
database.

I believe that there is something about learning and something about
the structure of knowledge in all of its complexity that is missing
from the exposition of the major paradigms.   I feel that the primary
development is not going to come from virtual reality embodiment any
more than it is going to come from Internet search technology, but
from the study of learning and dramatically improved data methods that
are going to be achieved only by solving some fundamental problems of
computer science.
Jim Bromer.