On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You'll be convinced in time, for instance if an OpenCogPrime instance starts
> refuting your arguments on this mailing list!

That is not very likely to occur if the 'magic' of agi is absolutely
dependent on embodiment, and the only embodiment that your program is
going to have is virtual.

A processor only interacts with the one kind of data, a computer
program does not have some other special kind of transcendent
processing that is able to interact with the real or virtually
simulated world.  How could the processing of data that comes from a
fictional database of relations, or even the data that comes from real
world sensors, provide some kind of 'magic' that would suddenly make
higher general intelligence work when it has not worked very well
before?

If you can't get an agi program to work based on carefully constructed
IO data environment, why do you think you could get it to work with an
advanced game-like data environment?  This fantasy flies in the face
of most scientific development which sees some progression from
simplistic to more sophisticated.  Game environments are simplified to
make the game as interesting to the user as it can be given the
demands of efficiency, they are not designed specifically to advance
agi.

I have no doubt that virtual embodiment and sensors will make agi much
more interesting and powerful once some poorly understood problems of
artificial intelligence are solved. And I feel that the IO data
environment has to have certain features and complexities (in the
general sense) in order to facilitate learning and these can be
derived from experience with virtual worlds, but the idea that
embodiment (with a real or virtual world) is going to be the
independent key to unlocking less well understood problems is not a
well reasoned theory.

There is one strong reason for embodiment and that is that a data
relation may sometimes be simple in one representation of the world
(IO media) than another.  But this desirable feature can be easily
encoded in a single data environment (like a text based IO data
environment.)

Jim Bromer