I was probably too confrontational with my last message.  I know that
there are no solid reasons to believe that some kind of embodiment is
absolutely necessary for the advancement of agi.  However, there is
nothing wrong with making that effort if someone wants to, just as
there is nothing wrong with using robotics to study agi.  And, while
it may seem that I am contradicting myself, I do believe that there
are some necessary methods for agi that can be discovered by working
with virtual embodiment or with a virtual world.  It may sound like a
conceit, but I honestly think that I have already considered the key
elements to agi that a researcher might find by pursuing this kind of
course.  At least I have considered them in a general way.
An IO data environment has to have some characteristics that would
make learning possible and some that could enhance the progression of
learning.  One of those is the use of different multiple references to
reference objects that could be used as construction blocks in further
learning.  These multiple references have to, at least in some cases,
vary in nature.  To give an example, if one reference to a data object
was simple and easy to detect against the background of the IO data
environment, then it could be used to enhance the subject matter that
would be more difficult to 'comprehend' from the use of a more
complicated reference.  I am not saying that this insight is a big
deal, I am saying that I derived this idea from considering the
advantage of using multiple IO data types, and it is one of the
strongest reasons for using different IO types with an agi program.
But it can be constructed within a single IO type as long as the type
is complex enough and contains the variations that would be necessary
to produce this kind of effect and the program was able to make the
connection.
So researchers pursuing different methods can all contribute to the
knowledge that would be required to get these kinds of programs
working.  But I would be very surprised if it turned out  that
embodiment was absolutely necessary as had been suggested in this
thread.  What is necessary is that certain kinds of variations of
reference within the IO data environment are possible and the program
is able to attend to them and make some of the desired associations
that it would need to make.

Jim Bromer