From: Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [agi] Recursive self-change: some definitions
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 7:02 PM

Terren:My own
feeling is that computation is just the latest in a series of technical
metaphors that we apply in service of understanding how the universe works.
Like
the others before it, it captures some valuable aspects and leaves out others.
It leaves me wondering: what future metaphors will we apply to the universe,
ourselves, etc., that will make computation-as-metaphor seem as quaint as the
old clockworks analogies?

I think this is a good important point.
I've been groping confusedly here. It seems to me computation necessarily
involves the idea of using a code (?). But the nervous system seems to me
something capable of functioning without a code - directly being imprinted on
by
the world, and directly forming movements, (even if also involving complex
hierarchical processes), without any code. I've been wondering whether
computers
couldn't also be designed to function without a code in somewhat similar
fashion.  Any thoughts or ideas of your own?

      agi | Archives

 | Modify
 Your Subscription