Hi Colin,

I'm not entirely sure that computers can implement consciousness. But
I don't find your arguments sway me one way or the other. A brief
reply follows.

2008/10/4 Colin Hales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Next empirical fact:
> (v) When  you create a turing-COMP substrate the interface with space is
> completely destroyed and replaced with the randomised machinations of the
> matter of the computer manipulating a model of the distal world. All actual
> relationships with the real distal external world are destroyed. In that
> circumstance the COMP substrate is implementing the science of an encounter
> with a model, not an encounter with the actual distal natural world.
>
> No amount of computation can make up for that loss, because you are in a
> circumstance of an intrinsically unknown distal natural world, (the novelty
> of an act of scientific observation).
> .

But humans don't encounter the world directly, else optical illusions
wouldn't exist, we would know exactly what was going on.

Take this site for example. http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

It is impossible by physics to do vision perfectly without extra
information, but we do not do vision by any means perfectly, so I see
no need to posit an extra information source.

  Will