--- On Sat, 10/4/08, Colin Hales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Maybe I can just paint a mental picture of the job the brain has to do.
Imagine this:

>You have no phenomenal consciousness at all. Your internal life is of a
dreamless  sleep.

>Except ... for a new perceptual mode called Wision.
>
>Looming in front of you embedded in a roughly hemispherical blackness
is a gigantic array of numbers.

>The numbers change.
>
>Now:
>
>a) make a visual scene out of it representing the world outside:
convert Wision into Vision.

>b) do this without any information other than the numbers in front of
you and without assuming you have any a-priori knowledge of the outside
world.

>That is the job the brain has. Resist the attempt to project your own
knowledge into the circumstance. You will find the attempt futile.

By "visual scene", I assume you mean the original image impressed on your
retina, expressed as an array of pixels. The problem you describe is to
reconstruct this image given the highly filtered and compressed signals that
make it through your visual perceptual system, like when an artist paints a
scene from memory. Are you saying that this process requires a consciousness
because it is otherwise not computable? If so, then I can describe a simple
algorithm that proves you are wrong: try all combinations of pixels until you
find one that looks the same.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]