Ben,

Thanks for reply. I'm a bit lost though. How does this formula take into
account the different pixel configurations of different objects? (I would have
thought we can forget about the time of display and just concentrate on the
configurations of points/colours, but no doubt I may be wrong).

Roughly how large a figure do you come up with, BTW?

I guess a related question is the old one - given a keyboard of letters, what
are the total number of works possible with say 500,000 key presses, and how
many 500,000-press attempts will it (or could it) take the proverbial monkey to
type out, say, a 50,000 word play called Hamlet?

In either case, I would imagine, the numbers involved are too large to be
practically manageable in, say, this universe, (which seems to be a common
yardstick). Comments?   The maths here does seem important, because it seems to
me to be the maths of creativity - and creative possibilities - in a given
medium. A somewhat formalised maths, since creators usually find ways to
transcend and change their medium - but useful nevertheless. Is such a maths
being pursued?