Von: Mike Tintner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008 13:01
An: agi@v2.listbox.com
Betreff: Re: [agi] If your AGI can't learn to play chess it is no AGI

Matthias: AGI must be able to discover regularities of all kind in all
domains.
If you can find a single domain where your AGI fails, it is no AGI.

General Intelligence is the ability to cross over from one domain into
*another*  - to a) independently learn new, additional domains and b) to
make *new* connections between domains (as in analogy, metaphor, creativity
etc. ) . (Another way of describing this is "general adaptivity.")

General Intelligence is about discovering IRREGULAR connections. It has
absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with regularities or single
domains.There is nothing regular about any analogy or metaphor or creative
discovery or example of resourcefulness - for example, seeing an atom as a
solar system, or a heart as a pump, or a benzene molecule as a snake, or
indeed seeing a chess-piece as a "castle" or a "king/queen," or a chessboard
as a battlefield.  There is no regular/logical/mathematical connection
involved whatsoever - such connections are the ANTITHESIS of creativity and
general intelligence, which demand *rule-breaking* not  rule-following.

Creating an AGI is a *creative* challenge - in talking about chess, you seem
hellbent   on avoiding that challenge - and avoiding discussing it..I think
we need a term for such behaviour which characterises the vast majority of
people in AGI -  they are "creatively challenged."

P.S. Perhaps it would be helpful if we compiled a booklist on the subject of
*fear of creativity*. The first one I think of offhand is "Conceptual
Blockbusting." You might also look at De Bono and his use of the word Po to
overcome such fears. Anyone think of any more?

  _____

agi |  <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/303/=now> Archives
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/303/> |
<https://www.listbox.com/member/?&;