Vladimir said> > I pointed out only that it doesn't follow from AIXI that ad-hoc is justified.

Matt used a chain of logic that went as follows:

AIXI says that a perfect solution is not computable. However, a very
general principle of both scientific research and machine learning is
to favor simple hypotheses over complex ones. AIXI justifies these
> practices in a formal way. It also says we can stop looking for a universal
solution, which I think is important. It justifies our current ad-hoc
approach to problem solving -- we have no choice.

Or, in summary, ad hoc is justified because we have no choice.

You claimed that we had a choice *BECAUSE* optimal approximation is an alternative to ad hoc.

I then asked
So what is an optimal approximation under uncertainty? How do you know when
you've gotten there?
and said:
If you don't believe in ad-hoc then you must have an algorithmic solution .

You are now apparently declining to provide an algorithmic solution without arguing that not doing so is a disproof of your statement. Or, in other words, you are declining to prove that Matt is incorrect in saying that we have no choice -- You're just simply repeating your insistence that your now-unsupported point is valid.