To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] If your AGI can't learn to play chess it is no AGI

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Cool.  And you're saying that intelligence is not
computable.  So why else
are we constantly invoking AIXI?  Does it tell us anything
else about
general intelligence?

AIXI says that a perfect solution is not computable. However, a very general principle of both scientific research and machine learning is to favor simple hypotheses over complex ones. AIXI justifies these practices in a formal way. It also says we can stop looking for a universal solution, which I think is important. It justifies our current ad-hoc approach to problem solving -- we have no choice.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]