--- On Sat, 10/25/08, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > AIXI says that a perfect solution is not computable. However, a very
> > general principle of both scientific research and machine learning is to
> > favor simple hypotheses over complex ones. AIXI justifies these practices
> > in a formal way. It also says we can stop looking for a universal
> > solution, which I think is important. It justifies our current ad-hoc
> > approach to problem solving -- we have no choice.
>
> Excellent.  Thank you.  Another good point to be pinned
> (since a number of  people frequently go around and around on it).
>
> Is there anything else that it tells us that is useful and
> not a  distraction?

The fact that Occam's Razor works in the real world suggests that the physics
of the universe is computable. Otherwise AIXI would not apply.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Also, since you invoked the two in the same sentence as if
> they were  different things . . . .
>
> What is the distinction between scientific research and machine learning
> (other than who performs it, of course).  Or, re-phrased, what is the
> difference between a machine doing scientific research and
> a machine that is  simply learning?
>
> <I'd love to hear everybody chiming in on that last question>

Scientists choose experiments to maximize information gain. There is no reason
that machine learning algorithms couldn't do this, but often they don't.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]