On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 10/30/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So there are physicists who think in principle the stock
>> market can be
>> accurately predicated from quantum theory alone? I'd
>> like to get a
>> reference on that. ;-)
>
> If you had a Turing machine, yes.
>
> It also assumes you know which of the possible 2^(2^409) possible states the
> universe is in. (2^409 ~ 2.9 x 10^122 bits = entropy of the universe). So
> don't expect any experimental verification.

Matt,

Even if all of our models of the universe can be put into a Turing
Machine, your conclusion still doesn't follow, because you need to
further assume the model is perfect, that is, it describes the
universe *as it is*. This is another conclusion that conflict with the
current understanding of science.

Pei