While I am actually a fan of Occam's Razor as a guiding principle for AGI, I
really don't think AGI should base itself on assumptions like "physics is
computable"

In fact, this assumption seems to me an egregious *violation* of Occam's
Razor!!

Occam's Razor says we should make the minimum hypotheses needed.
Hypothesizing a computable universe is almost *surely* nowhere near the
minimum hypothesis needed to guide the creation of an AGI!!!!

-- Ben G

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 10/30/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Even if that is the case, I don't accept it as a reason
> > to tolerant this opinion in AGI research.
>
> The point is not that AGI should model things at the level of atoms. The
> point is that we should apply the principle of Occam's Razor to machine
> learning and AGI. We already do that in all practical learning algorithms.
> For example in NARS, a link between two concepts like (if X then Y) has a
> probability and a confidence that depends on the counts of (X,Y) and (X, not
> Y). This model is a simplification from a sequence of n events (with
> algorithmic complexity 2n) to two small integers (with algorithmic
> complexity 2 log n). The reason this often works in practice is Occam's
> Razor. That might not be the case if physics were not computable.
>
> -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein