Matt,

How about the following argument:

A. "Since in principle all human knowledge about the universe can be
expressed in English, we say that the universe exists as a English
essay --- though we don't know which one yet".

B. "Because of A, the ultimate scientific research method is to
exhaustively produce all possible English essays, test each of them
against the universe, and keep the best --- since there are infinite
number of them, the process won't terminate, but it can be used as an
idealized model of scientific research, and the best scientific theory
will always be produced in this way."

C. "As a practical version of B, we can limit the length of the essay,
in characters, to a constant N. Then this algorithm will surely find
the best scientific theory within length N in finite time. Now
everyone doing science should approximate this process as closely as
possible, and the only remaining issue is computational power to reach
larger and larger N."

Of course, I don't mean that your argument is this silly --- the
research paradigm you argued for is interesting and valuable in
certain aspects --- though I do feel some similarity between the two
cases.

Pei