I note that physicists have frequently, throughout the last few hundred
years, expressed confidence in their understanding of the whole universe ...
and then been proven wrong by later generations of physicists...

Personally I find it highly unlikely that the current physical understanding
of the universe as a whole is going to survive the next century ...
especially with the Singularity looming and all that.  Most likely,
superintelligent AGIs will tell us why our current physics ideas are very
limited.

Fortunately, we don't seem to need to understand the physical universe very
completely in order to build AGIs at the human level and beyond.

-- Ben G

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 10/30/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> So there are physicists who think in principle the stock
> >> market can be
> >> accurately predicated from quantum theory alone? I'd
> >> like to get a
> >> reference on that. ;-)
> >
> > If you had a Turing machine, yes.
> >
> > It also assumes you know which of the possible 2^(2^409) possible states
> the universe is in. (2^409 ~ 2.9 x 10^122 bits = entropy of the universe).
> So don't expect any experimental verification.
>
> Matt,
>
> Even if all of our models of the universe can be put into a Turing
> Machine, your conclusion still doesn't follow, because you need to
> further assume the model is perfect, that is, it describes the
> universe *as it is*. This is another conclusion that conflict with the
> current understanding of science.
>
> Pei

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein