Ben,

Mapping RRA to Hegel's space isn't trivial, but here goes...

On 11/19/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have nothing against Hegel; I think he was a great philosopher.  His
> "Logic" is really fantastic reading.  And, having grown up surrounded by
> Marxist wannabe-revolutionaries (most of whom backed away from strict
> Marxism in the mid-70s when the truth about the Soviet Union came out in
> America), I am also aware there is a lot of deep truth in Marx's thought, in
> spite of the evil that others wrought with it after his death...

It's refreshing to be able to discuss the structure of problems rather than
simply planning the future of the world as:
1.  We will build AGIs.
2.  The AGIs will create a Singularity.
3.  Then, something wonderful (or horrible) will happen.

> I just think that Hegel's dialectical philosophy is clearer than your
> "reverse reductio ad absurdum",

That is because he saw a process that he didn't fully understand, leaving
the participants to argue their many positions for decades/centuries
until many consensus resolution were identified. Things always look simpler
when you ignore the necessary details.

BTW, there was once a government run by consensus - where all differences
were argued until everyone agreed. That was early Islam, first under Mohamed
and later under 4 subsequent "caliphs" who worked with Mohamed until his
death. Of course, this is ONLY possible given some sort of understanding of
RRA, yet historical accounts do NOT include anything like RRA (that I have
found). Then, things came unraveled. In a logical world (if this is even
possible given illogical people), consensus should be possible. Allowing for
a few idiots, it should take >90% majority to pass any law or do anything
that is potentially destructive (as though there were anything that a
government could do that is NOT potentially destructive). In short, the
whole rule by majority thing is severely flawed, though it may be OK to
choose representatives.

> and so I'm curious to know what you think your formulation *adds* to the
> classic Hegelian one...

A clear path to resolving differences rather than leaving it to unstructured
argument, compromise, etc., as Hegel did. It directly challenges BOTH sides
of an intractable dispute to seek and find the shared bad assumptions and
NOT compromise, or to shut up because they are simply not smart enough to
participate.

> From what I understand, your RRA heuristic says that, sometimes, when both
> X and ~X are appealing to rational people, there is some common assumption
> underlying the two, which when properly questioned and modified can yield a
> new Y that transcends and in some measure synthesizes aspects of X and ~X

Usually, neither X nor ~X are even deducible from Y. For example, in the
abortion debate, the pro-life side is happy because abortions are more
effectively stopped than if a law had been passed, and the pro-choice is
happy because there are no laws in place. Neither side can even get to the
contentious point that they were at before.

> I suppose Hegel would have called Y the dialectical synthesis of X and ~X,
> right?

Not being a Hegel scholar, that's the way that I see it. Hegel just failed
to take the next step of mapping out exactly how to reach a dialectical
synthesis, which is what RRA does.

> BTW, we are certainly not seeing the fall of capitalism now.  Marx's
> dialectics-based predictions made a lot of errors; for instance, both he and
> Hegel failed to see the emergence of the middle class as a sort of
> dialectical synthesis of the ruling class and the proletariat ;-)

... and America failed to see the coming disappearance of the middle class,
that throws society back into Marx's realm.

> ... but, I digress!!

I don't think so, as we are now thinking about things at the level that a
future AGI would have to be able to think at to provide societal guidance.
If we can't function at this level ourselves, how are we ever going to
create AGIs that do this?

> So, how would you apply your species of dialectics to solve the problem of
> consciousness?  This is a case where, clearly, rational intelligent and
> educated people hold wildly contradictory opinions,

... which is a pretty clear demonstration that consciousness doesn't work
very well. This was EXACTLY my point when discussing Dr. Eliza (that also
has its obvious limitations), that other methods can potentially avoid the
logical traps of the conscious process.

> e.g.

> X1 = consciousness does not exist
>
> X2 = consciousness is a special extra-physical entity that correlates with
> certain physical systems at certain times
>
> X3 = consciousness is a kind of physical entity
>
> X4 = consciousness is a property immanent in everything, that gets
> focused/structured differently via interaction with different physical
> systems
>
> All these positions contradict each other.  How do you suggest to
> dialectically synthesize them?  ;-)

No, properly restating the above question: "How do we and others identify
our invalid underlying assumptions to reach a dialectical synthesis?"

This is EXACTLY what "Ben's list" is all about. We now finally appear to be
on the same page.

Here is a new one for Ben's list:

*There has been a presumption in some quarters that consciousness is
single-valued, when this is clearly not the case. Different people and
animals clearly have very different things happening behind their eyeballs.
Given different things to compare, obviously, contradictory conclusions
about consciousness are easy to reach. For example, people who grow up with
impairments, e.g. from low daytime body temperature (central hypothermia)
can become bright/brilliant because they learn to use what they still have
very efficiently (e.g. Loosemore). Then, when the impairment is removed,
they often become off-scale super-human smart. This clearly shows that
something quite different is happening behind their eyeballs, and that the
impairment is not necessary to sustain that difference, though it may be
needed to create that difference.*

X1 appears to be on its face wrong, as it appears to state that the word
"consciousness" has no physical referent, which is plainly false because we
can all point something/someone having it, whatever it might be, real or
not.
X2 is a clear belief in magic, which once understood, is no longer magic.
Hence, X2 appears to be an oxymoron.
X3 and X4 do not appear to be mutually contradictory, though they may both
be wrong. Perhaps restatement is necessary to differentiate them.

We discussed a prospective "theory of everything" in July/August that I
think points to an X5 that is a sort of refined X4.

I suspect that when X5 is finally stated in undeniable terms, that this and
many other disputes here and elsewhere fill quickly evaporate in a sort of
dialectical synthesis of AGI positions. The problem here is that everyone's
positions here are based on a presumption that an AGI can be constructed *
without* that "theory of everything" being in hand. I think that we have an
RRA proof here that this is NOT possible. Nonetheless, it IS interesting to
be a "fly on the wall" and watch people try.

Steve Richfield