I would agree that the ABC example is an analogy. Generally speaking I am quickly successful in explaining how you can model the brain in electronic to people with backgrounds in analog electronics. The historical efforts in this direction of associationism and opponent process go all the way back to Aristole. Interesting observations reveal the opponent process nature of color. Example stare at the picture of the American flag
http://www.brainviews.com/abFiles/IntOpponent.htm
in a dimly lighted room for 45 seconds then look at at any gray area in the room and you will see the colors switch. The opponent process for color are blue-yellow, red-green, and black-white.

People who played with an opponent-process model of leaning reads like a list of who's who in psychology including Pavlov. They all dropped the model because it was not simple. Einstein said make your theories as simple as necessary to explain the data. Simple doe not mean so the average American can understand it.

Illusion are clues on what the brain is doing. What the brain is doing can be model in an AGI machine, Even computers can be programed to experience illusions or violations of the
programmed expectatons.  Example:
Marshall, J.A. & Alley, R.K. (1993, October). A Self-Organizing Neural Network that Learns to Detect and Represent Visual Depth from Occlusion Events. [In Bowyer K.W. & Hall L. (Eds.)] Proceedings of the AAAI Fall Symposium on Machine Learning and Computer Vision, Research Triangle, N.C. p70-74.

Your stated goal is the development of an AGI machine. I am telling you in my opinion that it can not be done in a programming environment but it can be done using opponent process circuits. We can not stop a child open his head and list his programs for our review and simple understanding. Sadly this is also true for analogy phase state opponent processing machines. Children are not controlable and neither are analogy phase state opponent processing machines. The current goal is developing a programming control system to interface with an analogy phase state opponent processing machine. After spending $200,000 we have been stuck at this problem level for 18 years. We had the AGI but no interface to traditional computations. At this time the current progress is promising that the two procedures can be made to cooperate with each other.

You now have enough information to start your thinking.

Ron
http://u2ai.us