My response to Ben's paper is to be cautious about drawing conclusions from
simulated environments. Human level AGI has an algorithmic complexity of 10^9
bits (as estimated by Landauer). It is not possible to learn this much
information from an environment that is less complex. If a baby AI did perform
well in a simplified simulation of the world, it would not imply that the same
system would work in the real world. It would be like training a language model
on a simple, artificial language and then concluding that the system could be
scaled up to learn English.

This is a lesson from my dissertation work in network intrusion anomaly
detection. This was a machine learning task in which the system was trained on
attack-free network traffic, and then identified anything out of the ordinary
as malicious. For development and testing, we used the 1999 MIT-DARPA Lincoln
Labs data set consisting of 5 weeks of synthetic network traffic with hundreds
of labeled attacks. The test set developers took great care to make the data as
realistic as possible. They collected statistics from real networks, built an
isolated network of 4 real computers running different operating systems, and
thousands of simulated computers that generated HTTP requests to public
websites and mailing lists, and generated synthetic email using English word
bigram frequencies, and other kinds of traffic.

In my work I discovered a simple algorithm that beat the best intrusion
detection systems available at the time. I parsed network packets into
individual 1-4 byte fields, recorded all the values that ever occurred at least
once in training, and flagged any new value in the test data as suspicious,
with a score inversely proportional to the size of the set of values observed
in training and proportional to the time since the previous anomaly.

Not surprisingly, the simple algorithm failed on real network traffic. There
were too many false alarms for it to be even remotely useful. The reason it
worked on the synthetic traffic was that it was algorithmically simple compared
to real traffic. For example, one of the most effective tests was the TTL
value, a counter that decrements with each IP routing hop, intended to prevent
routing loops. It turned out that most of the attacks were simulated from a
machine that was one hop further away than the machines simulating normal
traffic.

A problem like that could have been fixed, but there were a dozen others that I
found, and probably many that I didn't find. It's not that the test set
developers weren't careful. They spent probably $1 million developing it
(several people over 2 years). It's that you can't simulate the high complexity
of thousands of computers and human users with anything less than that. Simple
problems have simple solutions, but that's not AGI.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com