Yes, I'm expecting the AI to make tools from blocks and beads

No, i'm not attempting to make a detailed simulation of the human
brain/body, just trying to use vaguely humanlike embodiment and
high-level mind-architecture together with computer science
algorithms, to achieve AGI

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:56 AM, William Pearson <wil.pear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/9 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:
>> This is an attempt to articulate a virtual world infrastructure that
>> will be adequate for the development of human-level AGI
>>
>> http://www.goertzel.org/papers/BlocksNBeadsWorld.pdf
>
> goertzel.org seems to be down. So I can't refresh my memory of the paper.
>
>> Most of the paper is taken up by conceptual and requirements issues,
>> but at the end specific world-design proposals are made.
>>
>> This complements my earlier paper on AGI Preschool.  It attempts to
>> define what kind of underlying virtual world infrastructure an
>> effective AGI preschool would minimally require.
>>

> In some ways this question is under defined. It depends what the
> learning system is like. If it is like a human brain it would need a
> sufficiently (lawfully) changing world to stimulate its neural
> plasticity (rain, seasons, new buildings, death of pets, growth of its
> own body).  That is a never ending series of connectible but new
> situations to push the brain in different directions. Cat's eyes
> deprived of stimulation go blind, so a brain in an unstimulating
> environment might fail to develop.
>
> So I would say that not only are certain dynamics important but there
> should also be a large variety of externally presented examples.
> Consider for example learning electronics, the metaphor of rivers and
> dams is often used to teach it, but if the only example of fluid
> dynamics you have come across is a flat pool of beads, then you might
> not get the metaphor.  Similarly a kettle boiling dry might be used to
> teach about part of the water cycle.
>
> There may be lots of other subconscious  analogies of these sorts that
> have to be made when we are young that we don't know about. It would
> be my worry when implementing a virtual world for AI development.
>
> If it is not like a human brain (in this respect), then the question
> is a lot harder. Also are you expecting the AIs to make tools out of
> the blocks and beads?
>
>  Will

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"This is no place to stop -- half way between ape and angel"
-- Benjamin Disraeli