2009/1/9 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:
> This is an attempt to articulate a virtual world infrastructure that
> will be adequate for the development of human-level AGI
>
> http://www.goertzel.org/papers/BlocksNBeadsWorld.pdf

goertzel.org seems to be down. So I can't refresh my memory of the paper.

> Most of the paper is taken up by conceptual and requirements issues,
> but at the end specific world-design proposals are made.
>
> This complements my earlier paper on AGI Preschool.  It attempts to
> define what kind of underlying virtual world infrastructure an
> effective AGI preschool would minimally require.

In some ways this question is under defined. It depends what the
learning system is like. If it is like a human brain it would need a
sufficiently (lawfully) changing world to stimulate its neural
plasticity (rain, seasons, new buildings, death of pets, growth of its
own body).  That is a never ending series of connectible but new
situations to push the brain in different directions. Cat's eyes
deprived of stimulation go blind, so a brain in an unstimulating
environment might fail to develop.

So I would say that not only are certain dynamics important but there
should also be a large variety of externally presented examples.
Consider for example learning electronics, the metaphor of rivers and
dams is often used to teach it, but if the only example of fluid
dynamics you have come across is a flat pool of beads, then you might
not get the metaphor.  Similarly a kettle boiling dry might be used to
teach about part of the water cycle.

There may be lots of other subconscious  analogies of these sorts that
have to be made when we are young that we don't know about. It would
be my worry when implementing a virtual world for AI development.

If it is not like a human brain (in this respect), then the question
is a lot harder. Also are you expecting the AIs to make tools out of
the blocks and beads?

  Will