On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I knew CFJ 3492 was a slippery slope.  Silly judge.
>
> This, though, pretty clearly fails the "sufficiently clear" test of
> CFJs 3471-3472 (and ultimately 1460).

For reference: https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?1460

FWIW, as a Japanese learner, I'm pretty sure the message is mostly gibberish.

First line: The Google translation seems reasonable, but Japanese
doesn't distinguish present and future so it was probably intended in
the present.  'Fukudokko' is Google's translation of '福德公', which is
not in the dictionary as either a word or a name (the three kanji mean
'luck', 'virtue', and 'public', but you can't combine arbitrary kanji
to make a word).  Note that unlike Chinese, Japanese doesn't generally
represent foreign words with kanji picked phonetically - it uses
katakana for foreign words instead - so it couldn't really be that.
The last bit combines an object marker with a passive verb (to be
acquired/won), so it would have to be the so-called 'suffering
passive', where the object (gentleman of 福德公) is the one hurt by the
action being done, not necessarily its direct subject or object.  But
then, *what* is being acquired?  Are you acquiring the gentleman who
is also suffering from it?

Second line: "Official bulletin time: " … I think the rest is an
attempt to specify a date and maybe time, but it's way off.
('Mizukazuki' is really 'minazuki' and it's an archaic name for June,
but it doesn't seem to be an archaic date either).

Third line: "'A' treasure of 蘭亭社 [another non-word] and estate: none".
'A' is actually the katakana for the vowel sound 'a', which is not
generally found by itself; theoretically it could be okurigana, meant
to spell a word together with 宝 (treasure), but that would be a weird
combination and definitely isn't in the dictionary.

Fourth line: "The above"

Fifth line: [his signature]