Lee Revell wrote:
> I think it's a problem that FC5 does not have an RPM package containing
> these modules.

I think it's a question of cost of maintenance.   FC5 is currently on
2.6.12.20 (although you might be forgiven fo thinking is actually
2.6.16-1.2133_FC5).   /proc/asound says that we have 1.0.11rc2 which is
exactly what's in 2.6.16.   Someone could, I'm sure, package up a newer
version of ALSA and put in in a repo somewhere or even submit it to
Fedora Extras or Livna.

Of course, the difficulty with that is that replacing files in an RPM is
well-nigh impossible.   RPM simply doesn't allow you to corrupt an
installed RPM.    However, someone could take the kernel source RPM,
combine it with the latest ALSA build and create a new kernel RPM.

That's difficult though.   It'll break other stuff.

On the other hand, perhaps someone would volunteer to de-couple the ALSA
modules from the rest of the kernel in the kernel build so that the ALSA
modules can be updated and then we'll get to be able to install newer
versions of ALSA without waiting for Linus to pick up the next version
of ALSA.

Whatever happens, it's quite a lot of work for someone.  And while
there's a fair amount of noise on the alsa-user list there's a limited
audience for all that work.   Is it worth the hassle?   Put a bug in
bugzilla.redhat.com and see what happens.   Or even better patch the
kernel build and attach that to the bug report.   (Not you Lee, I know
you have better things to exercise your not inconsiderable talents on.)

The alternative for the snd-riptide module under Fedora is to wait for
2.6.17 to finalise and then for FC5 to pick up that kernel.   We're on
2.6.17-rc6 it can't be much longer before 2.6.17 final hits the streets
and then there'll be a QA delay before FC5 produces a 2.6.17-based RPM
and we should then be fine.

jch