On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 08:21 +0100, muessi wrote:

> Dustin J. Mitchell schrieb:
> > I'm not terribly familiar with crypto, but presumably you need the
> > secret key to decrypt.  Hopefully that was stored somewhere other than
> > on the old computer?
> >
> > BTW, once you get amfetchdump working, amrecover will work fine.
> > Amrecover just doesn't show error messages very well.  For example,
> > the message regarding am_passphrase was buried in the amidxtaped
> > logfile.
> >

> Well, I'm not quite sure we're talking bout the same thing, but when I use
> encryption, I get something like this in the dumpfiles:
>
> To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
>       dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/sbin/amcrypt-ossl-asym -d | /bin/gzip
> -dc |
> /bin/tar -xpGf - ...
>

> So far, having to restore something encrypted, I did use the above commands
> and
> it worked just fine.
>
> /Michael

I'm using amcryptsimple instead of the encryption methodology that
you're using - but thanks for the feedback.

I'm also working with the gnupg folks and they've given me this feedback
- just also wanted to check and make sure that I'm reading the code
correctly.  I'll keep everyone in the loop....

> > Long story short, I use amanda for my backups and I've been using
> encryptsimple for my backups.  My PC died completely, and I'm trying
> to get the backups onto another machine.  I've stepped through the
> programs and have found that it's calling gpg with
> >
> > gpg --batch --quiet --no-mdc-warning --decrypt --passphrase-fd 3
> 3</var/lib/amanda/.am_passphrase
> >
> > I was under the impression that the passphrase (.am_passphrase) was
> just a clear text secret phrase.  However, the gpg call errors out
> with:
> >
> > gpg: decryption failed: bad key
>
> The "bad key" error doesn't mean the passphrase is wrong (that would
> be "invalid passphrase").  It often means that the file you are
> decrypting is corrupt.  Was the file you are decrypting encrypted with
> a passphrase only or with a public key?

Here's the code that calls gpg for the encryption:

gpg --batch --no-secmem-warning --disable-mdc --symmetric --cipher-algo AES256
--passphrase-fd 3  3</var/lib/amanda/.am_passphrase

According to the man pages, it says not to use the --cipher-algo but
doesn't mention if that's needed in order to decrypt the files.  Would
that have to happen?

Thanks!

Matt Burkhardt
Impari Systems, Inc.

Customer Relationship Management Systems
We help you find and keep your best customers
m...@imparisystems.com
http://www.imparisystems.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mlburkhardt
502 Fairview Avenue