On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Matt Burkhardt <m...@imparisystems.com> wrote:
> Since it's happened on almost every backup I've tried, I'm assuming I'm
> missing a very important piece of information - so I do think it's a bad key
> or I'm missing the public key.  I have another computer that is backed up the
> exact same way and I've had no problems recovering files for that one.

Hmm, so the first thing to figure out is, does an incorrect passphrase
generate that error?  If so, then I suspect that you've been
encrypting with a different passphrase than you're using for
decryption.  That this works for other systems points strongly in this
direction.

One thing you might do is amfetchdump's -l option, and then try
various manual invocations of gpg to decrypt it.  Maybe there are
other passphrases available?  You might also try stracing the gpg run.
 If it reads most of the way to the end before bailing out, then it is
more likely to be a corrupt file.  If it bails out at the very
beginning, then it's more likely to be a settings problem.

I'm sorry we don't have any good solid answers for you..

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com