On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:17:33 AM McGraw, Robert P did opine:

> JF,
>

> Recently you sent me your tapetype for an lto4 drive. I have a question
> about the length parameter.
>
> An lto-4 tape has a non-compress length of ~800GB and in compress about
> double. I know these are max values.
>
> In you answer below you have length set to ~772GB. If I am going to run
> in compress mode so should the length value be double or ~1.4TB.

You cannot double compress in normal practice.  Feeding a highly compressed
file to the lightning fast compression methods used in tape drives will
often result in the file growing larger by many percentage points.

Gzip can generally beat the tape drives at their own game, albeit at the
expense of cpu time to do it right.

There are also pretty valid arguments against using the drives compression
as it isolates the backup program, preventing it, regardless of the name of
the program in question, from keeping track of how much of the tape has
been used since the best the programs can do is count the bytes sent down
the cable to the drive.  If the drive is massaging the data, shrinking or
expending it, then the program has no real clue when the tape is full till
the drive reports EOT.

Because of these considerations, it is pretty universal here that the
recommendation is to turn off the drives compressor and let software
methods do the data smunching.  Then amanda, or any another other program
that does track the tape capacity, will then know how much of the tape has
been used.

This can be very difficult to actually do for those tape formats, most of
them, that record the compressor's state in a hidden header file we never
see.  DDS is one such format where you will have to write a script that:

dd reads the first block of the tape out to a file, then
mtx re-winds the tape, then
mtx turns off the drives compressor, then
dd re-writes the first block of the tape with the saved file

All without ejecting the tape or going through a tape recognition cycle as
most drives do for a freshly inserted tape, and which would turn the
compression back on despite your wishes.  Only a similar operation will
actually turn it of for most drives today if it has ever been turned on and
the tape written to.

You can of course ignore this advice Robert.

> Thanks
>
> Robert
[...]

Cheers, gene