On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 05:13:46 PM McGraw, Robert P did opine:

> Gene,
>
> Thanks for your information.
>
> I tried the gzip way but it took too long on my backup server.

My iron here is beginning to took toward collecting SS one day, but it was
good when I built it from boxes of parts about 4 years ago.  Quad core
Phenom running at 2.1Ghz, 4Gb of DDR2 ram.  Today that isn't much to brag
about.  A typical run here grabs 2 boxes for 36 DLE's, and is done in a
long hour most nights, backing up a bit less than 30Gb most runs.  To
vtapes on a 1Tb drive.

> With my old LTO2 drive I took 90% of the compressed value and used that
> as the length. With   "device-property "LEOM" "true"" and part_size
> 40GB, I was getting close to filling my tapes to 100%.
>
> If I ever get a faster backup server I will retry the gizp way again.
>
> Thanks again,

No problem Robert, but I did need to emphasize the 'price' of the trade
offs.  ;-)

> Robert

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The covers of this book are too far apart.
                -- Book review by Ambrose Bierce.