As long as we are talking about HW vs SW compression, I should
say that we've installed pigz, a parallelized version of gzip,
on some of our systems with good result. If you have a system
that will support it and SW compression is running long you might
want to test it out.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 05:19:44PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 05:13:46 PM McGraw, Robert P did opine:
>
> > Gene,
> >
> > Thanks for your information.
> >
> > I tried the gzip way but it took too long on my backup server.
>
> My iron here is beginning to took toward collecting SS one day, but it was
> good when I built it from boxes of parts about 4 years ago.  Quad core
> Phenom running at 2.1Ghz, 4Gb of DDR2 ram.  Today that isn't much to brag
> about.  A typical run here grabs 2 boxes for 36 DLE's, and is done in a
> long hour most nights, backing up a bit less than 30Gb most runs.  To
> vtapes on a 1Tb drive.
>
> > With my old LTO2 drive I took 90% of the compressed value and used that
> > as the length. With   "device-property "LEOM" "true"" and part_size
> > 40GB, I was getting close to filling my tapes to 100%.
> >
> > If I ever get a faster backup server I will retry the gizp way again.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> No problem Robert, but I did need to emphasize the 'price' of the trade
> offs.  ;-)
>
> > Robert

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.