On Thursday, August 25, 2011 07:20:20 PM Charles Curley did opine:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:45:38 -0400
>
> gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > That could be handy if it is easily configured to be used, which I
> > have not investigated.
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Use_pigz_to_speed_up_compression
>
> > Making amanda use its parallelism might be a
> > challenging project however.
>
> Other emails on this list indicate that using pigz does speed up amanda
> runs.
>
> Just for the halibut, I did a bit of testing on an otherwise idle
> desktop with two AMD cores. I created a tarball using my /var
> directory. Then:
>
> root@dzur:/# time pigz var.test.tar
>
> real  6m1.411s
> user  9m5.290s
> sys   0m44.550s
> root@dzur:/# ll var.test.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6786436232 2011-08-25 10:07 var.test.tar.gz
> root@dzur:/# time gzip -d var.test.tar.gz
>
> real  4m16.611s
> user  1m43.080s
> sys   0m38.410s
> root@dzur:/# ll var.test.tar
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9458923520 2011-08-25 10:07 var.test.tar
> root@dzur:/# tar -tf var.test.tar
> # output omitted; no error messages
> root@dzur:/# time gzip var.test.tar
>
> real  9m45.992s
> user  8m23.070s
> sys   0m32.970s
> root@dzur:/# ll var.test.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6785153296 2011-08-25 10:07 var.test.tar.gz
> root@dzur:/# gunzip var.test.tar.gz
> root@dzur:/# ll var.test.tar
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9458923520 2011-08-25 10:07 var.test.tar
> root@dzur:/# pigz --version
> pigz 2.1.6
> root@dzur:/#
>

> Note that gzip took noticeably longer but produced a marginally smaller
> output file (possibly due to different default compression values; I
> did not investigate). Testing the output file as above produced no error
> message. The uncompressed tarball retained its size.
>
> I used gzip -d to test rather than pigz -d in order to verify
> compatibility.
>
> While we're at it, I am glad I never did implement bzip2 compression
> for Amanada:
>
> root@dzur:/# time bzip2 var.test.tar
>
> real  157m54.710s
> user  156m41.360s
> sys   0m35.550s
> root@dzur:/# ll var.test.tar.bz2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6780647698 2011-08-25 10:07 var.test.tar.bz2
> root@dzur:/#

This latter is not a bit surprising.  And its been known to make mistakes
in the decompress without reporting an error.  I once unpacked a kernel
tree but could not get it to build, not once but 3 times and each time the
tree was missing about a megabytes worth of a driver subdir.  By then I was
getting schmardter from the error messages & knew which subdir was missing.

Prepared to download it again, I blew that tree away and unpacked the .bz2
again.  On the 4th try, that subdir finally showed up, and it then built as
usual.  From that time on, I have never pulled the .bz2 unless the .gz was
not available.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://204.111.67.138:85/gene>
When you die, you lose a very important part of your life.
                -- Brooke Shields