hi Mark,

> Thanks, but you packet capture truncated packets to 96 bytes.
> To see anything useful full packets need to be captured, usually
> option -s 0 to tcpdump does that, or use -s 1600.
I knew something was missing, thx I added the option so my tcpdump
call looks like this:
"tcpdump -i any -s 0 -w tcdump.raw port 10024 or port 10025"
I updated the uploaded tcpdump onto my webspace at www.temporal.ch/tmp .

> It would also be useful to take a look at the temporary file.
> Set sender address in:
>   @debug_sender_acl = qw( [EMAIL PROTECTED] );
> and the tenporary file will not be deleted after the session,
> left at email.txt in a temp dir.
I've done that, and ran amavis under debug mode (LOG_LEVEL = 3) on
the same email.
you can find three new files now, debug_sender.log
debug_sender_email.txt and one part of the email under
debug_sender_p001.txt .

as expected (by you) the email.txt file is correctly encoded (meaning
unchanged). However in the tcpdump you clearly see that the file
returned in not the same file that comes in. I hope you (or someone
else) can give me some more tipps on debugging with the help of the
debug.log I made.

and a more general question (which shouldn't be related to the
problem), what triggers decoding and encoding for filter purposes?
last time I saw it just tries dependant on your perl installation,
meaning via unicode_aware, whats the idea with displaying LANG and
LC_ALL then?

thx for sticking with me :)=

Regards,
Alexander Schäfer