On 8/18/08, Carlos Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Gary V <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thanks MrC, but they would be a bit to go through.
> > For a plain amavisd-new install on etch:
>
> But I already have Amavid-new installed and what I believe to be
> working on my Etch machine.

That's fine, I was not asking you to reinstall it.

> > add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:
> >
> > deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
> >
> > Then run:
> > gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key BBE55AB3
> > gpg --armor --export BBE55AB3 | apt-key add -
> >
> > run:
> > apt-get update
> > then:
> > apt-get install clamav clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam
>
> This is interesting to me because the current Etch repos have a slight
> revision back of Clamav and it always complains when I run "freshclam"

You can expect this, it usually takes a week or two for volatile to get updated.

> mail:~# apt-cache policy clamav
> clamav:
>  Installed: 0.93.1.dfsg-1.1
>  Candidate: 0.93.1.dfsg-1.1
>  Version table:
>  *** 0.93.1.dfsg-1.1 0
>        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     0.93~dfsg-1+lenny1 0
>        500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages

You are not running etch, you are running lenny, so for now you do not
need to use volatile at all. Once lenny is released as stable, you
will want to add a lenny volatile source. You have no need to add an
etch volatile source.

> > edit /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-content_filter_mode
> > and remove comments from the two appropriate lines:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] = (
> > #   \%bypass_virus_checks, [EMAIL PROTECTED], \$bypass_virus_checks_re);
>
> When I started to get my Amavisd-new config working, I only modified
> /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user. I never edited "15-content_filler_mode"
> before so I don't know if you're assuming I should already have
> something in "15-content_filler_mode".

You will have something there. Read the file - virus and spam scanning
are disabled by default - typically you enable them by editing this
file.