With a properly adjusted DX60, there is nothing wrong with the audio as it is.
I have heard many DX60's ran thru linear amps that sound excellent.
The basic speech amp in the DX60 is not much different than most. I have two
DX60's, One I mod for screen mod and the other is stock. I am told they both
sound excellent.
The screen mod unit only runs at about 15W. Of course, the control carrier will
put out a bit more power on peaks.
As I said, adjusted properly, there is nothing wrong with controlled carrier.
Just my opinion....Hal, WB4AEG

CW.....When all else fails !!