Ted,

The "discussed" WC3K mods do NOT require ANY holes, AND all are readily
reversible.

The over-modulation modification was "cleverly" performed by removing
ONE screw on the front panel, and placing the LED there!

I haven't put a single hole in the DX-60 that I have.

Even the PTT mod requires NO holes in the Old Gal!

Bob - N0DGN

On 7/2/2010 4:19 PM, Ted Gustafson wrote:
> I for one like to just leave things alone. One of the things I try and do
> when I bring a old dog back to life I try and remove all the thing folks did
> over the years to "make it better". Sometimes things just can't be undone or
> I figure it is not worth the time and effort. If you find the right mic and
> adjust the rig as it should it will sound fine. Good clean intelligible
> audio. Then there are folks like the guy in the TV add talking about his
> tube amp, "It will reproduce sounds only a dog can hear". You can get
> carried away. And I am not saying I have NEVER modified a rig. 30 years from
> now some guy will look at one of them and say, "Why would anyone do
> something like that to a nice old vintage rice box like that.  But I did
> draw the line at putting extra holes in it.
>
> I have had better luck with a D104 than any of the other dozen or so mics I
> have tried on the older rigs. It seem to like my voice better. Every one of
> the mics I have has its own "sound".
>
> Good luck and have fun.
>
> Ted WB0TDV
>
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM, RICHARD GEORGE<k6...@msn.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have my DX 60 now working properly in a stock condition. It is a fairly
>> clean radio inside and out, but I'm not concerened about modifying it.  I
>> would like to keep from drilling holes in the front panel but will if
>> necesarry.  I have come across 3 different audio mods on the net. They are
>> the WC3K mod,  KS3K mod, and the K4TLJ mod. In the groups opinon wich is
>> the
>> best one to use?
>>
>> Maybe it is none of the above and I should just go ahead and plate moulate
>> it.  I do have a 35 watt plat modulator that I built some time ago and it
>> has a universal modulation transformer.
>> I plan on using a D104 mike, and have a National 300 for a recevier.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> K6KWQ Dick
>>   Amps by "MORE POWER"

|               AM Amateur Radio Operator    NØDGN                 |
|               http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman/                 |