I for one like to just leave things alone. One of the things I try and do
when I bring a old dog back to life I try and remove all the thing folks did
over the years to "make it better". Sometimes things just can't be undone or
I figure it is not worth the time and effort. If you find the right mic and
adjust the rig as it should it will sound fine. Good clean intelligible
audio. Then there are folks like the guy in the TV add talking about his
tube amp, "It will reproduce sounds only a dog can hear". You can get
carried away. And I am not saying I have NEVER modified a rig. 30 years from
now some guy will look at one of them and say, "Why would anyone do
something like that to a nice old vintage rice box like that.  But I did
draw the line at putting extra holes in it.

I have had better luck with a D104 than any of the other dozen or so mics I
have tried on the older rigs. It seem to like my voice better. Every one of
the mics I have has its own "sound".

Good luck and have fun.

Ted WB0TDV