Hi, Bob!!

Ultimate authority rests with Member states (note the capital "M"), which have
made an agreement (treaty) with each other.  The treaty basis comes from the
notion that if the various parties can't play well together, everyone will be
harmed.

See:  CONSTITUTION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION UNION

Preamble

1   While fully recognizing the sovereign right of each State to regulate its
telecommunication and having regard to the growing importance of
telecommunication for the preservation of peace and the economic and social
development of all States … .

ITU, itself, serves only the functions agreed to by ITU Plenipotentiary
Conferences and added to the International Telecommunication Convention, the
treaty, and the radio regulations, which are annexed to the treaty and have the
same status as the basic treaty.

The world expects more of amateurs than every other radiocommunication service,
since all others involve specific notification and coordination requirements.

Amateurs have long been expected to manage and coordinate their own use of
frequencies.  "Listen before transmitting" works in many cases.  Satellites
need more.

This is why IARU provides satellite frequency coordination recommendations.
Yes, these are only recommendations and participation is not required, unless
required by a licensing administration.  Anyone truly interested in the success
of a project will participate in the process - to keep the probability of
success high and the probability of causing problems low.

Make sense?

I hope this helps.

73, art…..
W4ART/5  Houston TX