Based on this, is your perspective that Andrei is correct that "basically
storing private data on the phone is actually impossible?"

My goal is not even store the data, but to have one time access for the
application to a secure piece of data.

The suggestion about being careful about where to put the encryption key, "
get it over the network, only keep it in RAM, never let it be written to
storage," does not seem to address decompiling the .dex file.   The key
would be put into RAM by the program that can be decompiled.

I am not typically a paranoid regarding security, but this seems like it
should be a legitimate concern.  I'd like to be wrong about that.  If this
is a theoretical, but unlikely scenario that would be great.

Carmen