On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Yahel <kaye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When we think google we think HUGE company. So we think of the Android
> Team as A TEAM, like 50 or 150 persons maybe...

I am proud to be on the C team.

> I would guess that at most there is 10 to 15 maybe less Google
> employees in this Android team. When you out the two spoke-persons
> you're only left with Romain and Dianne :D

Sorry, but you have no clue about this.  We had that number of engineers
early on in the development of Android.  Today that is more along the lines
of just the framework team.

I don't think you really have an idea of what all is involved in making such
a product, between engineering on the kernel/system-level software and
hardware support/bringup, framework development and maintenance, all of the
applications, development tools, server-side development, everything
involved with Market (app, server, web interface, billing, etc), QA,
interacting with hardware manufacturers, developer support, etc.

Also, Romain and I are not spoke-persons.  We take our spare time to spend
on this group.  You will see many more people posting to the blog or visible
elsewhere; I can't hold it against an engineer for not posting here.

I would have loved to see the despair in the eyes of Romain Guy or
> Dianne when the boss came and said : You know that part time
> Androithingy you are working on ? Well I said to my boss we were
> realeasing it next friday. You Ok with that ?? :D

No, that is not how it works.  We actually have schedules, plans, feature
lists, milestones, etc.  Of course they can often change, but that's just
reality.

Responding to the original poster: almost all of the issues listed were
development tools issues, not Android system issues.  (I'm not sure about
the socket thing, if that is just an emulator issue or an issue on devices.
 I know that networking is very complicated on these devices because of
telephony and such; but this isn't my area so I don't know much more.)

The layout editor is a work in progress, and is available in its current
form to help if it is useful, but is not intended to be taken as a complete
product.

For the screen not unlocking...  I think if you set the option to not turn
off the screen, and don't exit the emulator, you won't have that problem.  I
would consider this more a feature request (that is additional behavior as a
convenience beyond the regular shipping device behavior) than a bug.

Our developer tools team is admittedly fairly small, and has done an amazing
job with the people they have.  Also most of the stuff related to these
issues are in the open-source tree, so if they are trivial issues someone
could probably contribute a patch.  I don't want to say the trite "it is
open source so if there is a bug you can fix it"...  but, we don't charge
any money for any of the tools or most other stuff, so it is also a little
unreasonable to complain like this about something you are not paying
anything for.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer