Real Time is NOT about making things "quicker". Its about reliability.
Its about providing guarantees that certain events will happen within
a particular time deadline no matter how the rest of the system is
behaving. For example, lets say there is a music application
playing..which in itself is a soft real time application as a certain
"frame" needs to be played within a particular time deadline. Now say
there is another application that runs a computationally intensive
task..or for that matter a while(1) loop!. Now this while(1) could
screw the music app. But with real-time support in place you can
provide "reservations" to the music app which will guarantee the music
to be played, in spite of some other application misbehaving.

The real-time patch in linux does provide cpu reservation budgets but
does not provide hard guarantees what so ever.

The g1 phone processor is definitely slower than new iphones. Hence by
providing rt-extensions one will not be able to the responses of the
applications quicker than iphone!