If it was as easy as pointing a finger and saying "here optimize that," then
it probably would have already been done.  90% of the effort in optimization
is figuring out exactly what is slow and can be improved.  So if you want to
proceed into this -- pull out a profiler and start digging in.  For example,
take a UI operation you think is too slow, figure out a way to profile what
is going on during that time, then analyze the results to see what can be
improved.

And I will say, the kernel is perhaps not the meatiest place to look at for
this work.