You may have some other issues that I don't know how to fix it.
However, you can still choose the icons and menus you like. Just to
remember that the frame buffer is refreshed every other key stroke.
For example, if you want to select a icon that is down right to the
current one, press right and down or press down and right can
highlight the icon and then press enter. If you want a icon that is
next to the current one, by entering one cursor then enter the "Enter"
key, the new icon will be highlighted and then immediately activated.
The cursor key selected icon, however, the frame buffer is not
refreshed therefore the icon is not highlighted. When the "Enter" key
is hitted, the frame buffer is refreshed and icon is activated.
Hope this can solve you problem temporarily untill you have a
permanent solution.
Thanks,

Jinjun