Am 26.05.2005 um 11:47 schrieb Andrew Piskorski:

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 10:59:16AM +0200, Zoran Vasiljevic wrote:

Also, although all in Tcl_CloneInterp is done in C, I'm afraid
that it could still take considerable time to copy 1000 or so
commands

But Jeff H. said it has already been done single-threaded on that Tcl
8.3.x branch for Cisco, and that it was very fast!  So, are you saying
that multi-threaded Tcl needs something done DIFFERENTLY, and that you
suspect/fear that those differences would introduce a large slowdown?
Or what?

Just as a continuation to my previous answer...

I think if you *combine* the slave-interp (as described)
and use my ttrace package to lazy-load (in which case it
would be rather lazy-alias) *only* those parts of the
command-set of the master interp which are needed for the
currently executing page, the thing *could* work with acceptable
speed.

So instead of aliasing 1000's of commands from the master
at once and every time, ttrace would lazy-alias only parts of it.
After the request is done, the slave is trashed entirely.

It requires some testing/coding to see just how about fast
this would work. But, it also requires app-code changes
(no more direct variable access; all must be done with
procedure calls aliased from the master) and I do not know
if the people would be willing to make such a step just to
get the pristine interp. All of us learned to live with what's
available and with all it pros and cons.

Zoran