On Saturday 28 May 2005 08:14, Jim Davidson wrote:

> 5.   Finally, the last thing we should consider is giving up on virtual
> servers.   It turns out that there is still quite a bit of code complexity
> to support virtual servers and more importantly it confuses the "process"
> init with "server" init, limiting our ability to turn AOLserver completely
> into a Tcl loadable module which would really simplifiy interp management
> and align with normal Tcl practice.   This is something to consider later.

YES!

I've spent some time getting nice cleanish config files setup to use virtual
servers, and I still think it is a big mistake to use it. Every argument I've
seen in support of virtual servers is better answered by either a home brew
solution, using a single server for multiple domains, or by just using
another web server (like Apache). The main reason being, you just can't
isolate servers, they have the same user/group permissions, exposing every
other virtual server to potential attack or programming mistakes.
Another reason is that configuration information is static. Any changes
require a restart of every virtual server. Startup time is the combined
startup for all virtual servers, plus the main config.

Whatever the external benefit of virtual servers is, the C level coding is
complicated too much, which impacts maintenance and development.