On Thursday 25 August 2005 07:29, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> On 2005.08.25, Olaf Mersmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ok, I plan on setting the -rpaths to the "default" install directory
> > (/opt/aolserver/ - any objections?) [...]
>
> This is exactly the "danger" of using -R/-rpath.  On Solaris, /opt is a
> popular place to install packages.  On Linux, /usr/local is somewhat
> popular.  Other OSes have their own preferences.
>
> The reason I personally prefer explicit LD_LIBRARY_PATH specification
> and NO -rpath is to avoid accidental version mismatches.  Let me
> explain: I usually have at least two or three different versions of
> AOLserver installed at any time, all in different top-level directories.
> If I try to start up nsd without specifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH, it will
> fail to start because it can't find the libs to load.

I agree with this, I think there is a basic misunderstanding that AOLserver is
a system wide service. It isn't. It should usually be installed and run under
a particular user, not in a generic directory. And as Dossy points out, even
a generic directory changes from system to system. Can't the package
installer be configured to make the proper changes, or is that beyond what is
possible?

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems necessary for other add on modules, like Oracle
or Postgres, so it is common to use a startup script instead of simple
command line. A startup script also allows you to put in a pause of a few
seconds for restarting nsd. Otherwise you might get a restart without the
ports being available (at least on Linux). When you go to a generic
installation, taking care of all this is even more essential since you are
offering a service to folks who don't know or care about all the ins and outs
of running AOLserver.

I think the recent effort to provide a tcl based bootstrap to the installation
is a positive step. It is easy to forget that tcl provides a pretty easy to
use (and cross platform) shell, which must be available before AOLserver is
installed. So why not use it?