One other thing:

At Thursday 06:16 AM 8/25/2005, Jim Davidson wrote:
There was a lot of effort recently to use Tcl in the build to get
around windows/unix incompatibilities -- sounds like more work is
needed on the Unix specific pieces to get this right and draw in the
common modules.

Is this referring to the nsmakeall.tcl stuff in the current CVS head?

In looking at this, my concern is that it may make the building of AOLserver 4 even harder to influence from the user level. The current build system (even with the problems I've cited) does at least allow you to sneak the desired settings in via variables passed to make (for example LDRPATH/CCRPATH), and other such tricks. If the build procedure is bottled up in a Tcl script that doesn't allow this kind of chicanery, or that makes it harder to accomplish, that would just make packaging AOLserver even more difficult in situations like the RPM build scenario I've outlined.

My first impression is that this takes AOLserver 4 even farther away from standard package build procedures, which isn't a good thing. But if this is the direction things are going to go in the future, I'd at least suggest that the user should still be allowed to use a standard "make" step instead of the Tcl-based make script--in other words, make it a feature add but not a requirement.

- John