On Wednesday 06 September 2006 02:33, Andrew Piskorski wrote:
> "lose everything"?  Why?  Making AOLserver/Foo really work well would
> almost certainly mean building in excellent Tcl/Foo bi-directional
> interoperability very early on.  Even a major Foo-bigot would still
> want that at least for bootstrapping...

Hey, why doesn't someone point out where, anywhere, this has been done before?
Then, we don't even need to do this part, because some other group would have
already solved the first problem: they will have identified another scripting
language that can replicate everything that Tcl does, and can speak to Tcl
and allow Tcl to speak to it (and both to C).

All we have to do to make AOLserver more popular is to solve a much more
interesting problem.

In any case, if the new language were to be on par with Tcl, you would have to
replicate everything in the new language. Unless the programmers in the other
language are really behind the times, there must already be an ongoing
web/application server in that language, so we can again look around and find
it. We can introduce the unique AOLserver APIs to this project. But now we
are back to the beginning: AOLserver isn't unique because of the Tcl language
after all, it is unique because of the way it solves a particular problem. If
developers don't like that uniqueness, it doesn't matter what languages are
supported.