On 10/21/2008 10:10 PM India Time, _Jahanzeb Farooq_ wrote:

> man you have to accept it.

Please, let me decide what I am going to accept. You can't dictate like
this, buddy.

> although it is growing on us and we have
> started liking more compared to the first time, but the fact remains
> that it is not something liked by the masses. only one song Tu meri
> dost would be liked by the masses but not the rest.

No way. Shano and Mastam are going to be on every youth's tongue, me think.

> even recent ARR
> albums had many songs loved by masses (and critics) e.g., Tere bina,
> Mayya mayya, Barso re (Guru), Pappu, Aditi, Kahin to (JTYJN) etc etc.

Agreed. So?

> Furthermore the fact remains that Yuvvraaj does not have even a single
> song which can be called just mibdblowing or plain awesome as per the
> ARR standards etc.

Hmm. I thought about it and I find that I have to agree with you.

So, I also concede that even though Yuvraj is an album for the masses
and it has good softer songs also (manmohini, zindagi), still, I have to
agree that there is no mindblowing song AS PER ARR STANDARDS.

I think that is the area where the freedom ARR gets makes the whole
difference. Mani gives ARR complete freedom, so ARR's every Mani album
has one or more mindblowing songs. Deepa mehta gives ARR complete
freedom, so ARR's every Deepa album has one or more mindblowing songs.

But, even though Ghai's inputs have done wonders in Taal and Yuvraj,
those have restricted ARR from giving a mindblowing song in Yuvraj.

But, I would not complain. ARR is operating in a commercial world, and
Yuvraj is having all the potential of becoming the biggest commercial
hit of ARR's career. That would help him. And it would help us fans also
when we get ridiculed by ARR's detractors who never fail to highlight
when Pritam or Himesh's songs top the chart.

And, me think, that is what Ghai wanted - compromise on mindblowing song
and give an outright commercial hit. And ARR/Ghai have succeeded like
anything in this album.

> comparing to Taal it still remains a HUGE
> disappointment, if not for us (ARR fans) certainly it is for masses.

Why are you so inclined on keeping us fans in a separate category apart
from masses? Does it satisfy your ego that you are on a higher ivory
tower as a fan compared to lowly, meanly, measly masses. It is not so.
We are all humans, made equal by our Creator.

This album is going to bring millions of new fans to ARR's fold. Masses
will become ARR fans after listening to this album. You think that is
going to dilute the superiority of ARR fans. I differ.

> the weakest songs of Dil se, Taal or Bombay are still better than
> strongest song/s of Yuvvraaj.

That is going to personal taste now.

I have written that I personally found Ishq bina a tad too sweet,
sacharine sweet, for my liking. I didn't like any remix, and western in
Taal. My find in that was Ni main samajh gayi, Nahin Samne, jangal mein
koyal bole, taal se taal mila, etc.

I am not able to compare Taal with Yuvraj. They are different genre of
songs.

And, for Dil Se and Bombay, or even Guru, or Yuva: well, Mani is Mani,
yaar. Add, 1947 Earh, Water: Well, Deepa Mehta is Deepa Mehta. Ghai is
different.

The only album of ARR that I outright disliked is Love Bird.

> lets analyze it. Mastam mastam is good, it grows, melody is Rahmanish,
> Sonu is perfect, but again it is not something instantly loved by
> masses.

here, you lost me.

Mastam is the so cathy, yet soothing. It is going to be loved by masses.

> Zindagi is again good but nothing exceptional. it heavily
> relies on vocals, too little music, no traditional ARR interludes etc.

So? It is a different song. It has its own style, its own ingredients.
That is how ARR gave this song, and it is great in its existing form. If
ARR has changed a single thing in it, that would have become a different
song.

too little music????? Seems you have forgotten Khamosh Raat of Takshak
that would hold the ARR's all time record for minimal music, me think.

> Man mohini is very good but alas too short, which is completely un-
> understandable, why did not ARR put a few more minutes to it???

Now, I would say your think line is irrational. ARR has capability to
make Manmohini 2 hours song, but Ghai wouldn't put a 2 hours manmohini
in his film. So why make it 2 hours?

Ghai has taken a liking for pure classical for some time, for a change,
for some reason. Kishna had Kaahe Ujadi Mori neend (ID), and he wanted a
short piece having pure classical. That is what he got.

> strange. Dil ka risha is very good again, orchestra is great. it would
> be loved more than Zindagi, Mastam, Man mohini by masses. however it
> is a very situational song, not something you will find people humming
> or playing on streets etc.

Exactly, and you should have left Mastam out of this logic. Mastam is
what people can humm out all day.

> Shano shano is one of the weakest songs of
> ARR ever, people will not find anything special in it.

I don't think it is weaker than Pappu, nor weaker than love bird songs.

> it is not very
> different than dozens of Pritam and others' songs releasing every day.
> even Pappu (JTYJN) was far far far far far far better.

I personally didn't like Pappu, because it is ARR's signature missing,
me think. I thought ARR has compromised to give a hit in Pappu.

Shano is very much having ARR's signature all around. It is far better
than Pappu, me think. Shano is going to be the most popular song of this
album, me think.

> so at the end
> the only song remains is Tu muskura which will be liked by the masses
> but again there is nothing very special in it. it is likable but not
> something blockbuster etc.

Rightly said.

Shano and Mastam have chartbusting elements.

> it is in the league of recent Tu bin bataye
> (RDB) and Milo wahan wahan (Ada) though the two were far far better.

I just disliked Tu Bin Bataye. I don't even feel like talking about it.

> just think of some of ARR's biggest hits and ask yourself honestly can
> we compare any of Yuvvraaj's songs with Satrangi, Dil se, Chaiyyan
> chaiyyan (Dil se) Taal se taal, ishq bina, ramta jogi (Taal), Kehna hi
> kya, Hamma hamma, Tu hi re (Bombay) and those from Rangeela, Saathiya,
> Lagaan, Roja, Sapnay etc etc or even recent lesser hits rang de
> basanti (RDB), khwaja mere khwaja, azeem-o-shaan (JA) etc and those
> from Guru etc. and you will get the answer.

 From the above list of yours, remove Mani. he he he.

That leaves us with Taal se taal, ishq bina, ramta jogi (Taal),
Rangeela, Lagaan, Sapnay, rang de basanti (RDB), khwaja mere khwaja,
azeem-o-shaan (JA)

I didn't like Ramta Jogi that much. and already said about ishq bina.
Taal se taal was good.

Rangeela's Asha nums were awesome, others were not so great. Kya Kahe
Kya Na Kahe and babu lo chal gaya were very common. though my personal
fav is a surprise Mangta hai Kya from this album.

I have not picked Lagaan to hear again ever since I had put it off some
10 years ago, of course after listening for months.

Sapney had two mediocre songs also, that prayer and that duet.

I didn't like rang de basanti song that much.

I totally disliked Azeem-o-shaan and that krishna prayer of JA.

The summary is: Don't force comparison between apples and oranges. Eat
both, enjoy both.

> hence i am certainly not surprised by the reactions of masses. ARR
> here really disappointed, because of Ghai-ARR combo people were
> expecting something as fantastic as Taal,

And Ghai-ARR combo has delivered exactly what masses would love.

> but there is no comparison
> between Taal and Yuvvraaj.

Taal was good but I think Taal's inclination towards pop/ remix was
brought by the script of the film where Anil Kapoor was running a
remixing company.

I find Yuvraj more versatile, all-rounder than Taal. Yuvraj has
something for everyone. Taal didn't have a pure classical manmohini.
Taal didn't have a philosophical zindagi (Nahin Samne was a love
separation reminscings song)

Taal has a down-to-earth, simple, practical bent that was brought by
Anand Bakshi's lyrics.

Yuvraj has a philosophical, upper class refined emotional bent that is
brought by Gulzar's lyrics.

> at least if you ask me if i give 10/10 to
> Taal i will give only 4/10 to Yuvvraaj.

Then, I would say that you are a miser.

> ARR should have experimented
> in some other low profile album but certainly not in Yuvvraaj.

Why?

Why do you think ARR should make a particular film escape goat? Why
should ARR sacrifice any poor producer/ director?

And why do you think ARR could bring Yuvraj without any experimentation.

> also a
> film solely based on music certainly required some instantly classic
> music, like Taal.

Ghai thinks different from you for his music based film.

Thanks.
--
Rawat