On 3/6/2009 7:21 AM India Time, _Nagaraj_ wrote:

> My Dad is 50  and he loves ARR.

> He was a IR/MSV fan in his youth. But after lagaan he became a ARR
> fan.
>
> Songs he loves. Guru -> tera bina. Lagaan -> full Swades -> yeh
> tara,aahista,yeh jo des. Rhythm,Sivaji,Lagaan,12ka4.
>
> However he hasnt developed an ear for smthng like Bose/Water.
>
> Would like to know wat the middle aged and older group feel abt ARR.
> Especially the people above 45 as their prime(15-30) would have been
> during RD Burman/Illyaraja/MS Vishwanathan.

Before Anu Malik and Nadeem Sharavan, the last undisputed ruler of
bollywood music was Laxmikant Pyarelal and his era has ended by 1981 (Ek
Duje Ke Liye, Kranti, Naseeb, prem rog, hero). But, while LP mostly used
more Indian instruments (dholak, tabla, harmonium), RDB was the master
at western instruments so RDB was the obvious choice for producers who
were targeting youths in their movies.

My impression is that though R D Burman was popular for quite a
long time (Kishna Shah took him for Shalimar, that was quite a credit in
those days), the signal-to-noise ratio in RDB's music was the worst
among all bollywood MDs, even worse than Anu malik. By that, I mean to
say that RDB had given many more junk songs than he had given good songs.

Luckily, Junk songs disappeared without a trace and current generation
gets to hear only his surviving good songs, so they think he was all
around great. It was not so. I can say that while ARR has consistent
creativity and experimentation, RDB was a case of creativity and
experimentation gone haywire. His several songs lik Samandar Mein Naha
Ke Aur Bhi Namkeen Ho Gayi ho, and Dhoop Mein Nikla Na karo Roop Ki Rani
sounded a pain on the ears and head. He would give one good album and 4
sickening albums. So, RDB was a big name for quite some, but I think he
was never a ruling no. 1 of bollywood like Anu Malik or Nadeem Sharavan
or LP or Shankaj Jaikishan or Naushad had been from time to time.

I think Shaan, 1980 was one of their last big budget film of their era
that too flopped. After giving 10-15 films each year in 80-85, they went
single digit for a few years and were soon bygone by 1989.

So, you can say that RDB's era ended by 1983-85.

And then, first Anand Milind appeared with Lal Dupatta Malmal Ka and
then Nadeem Shravan had appeared with Aashiqi and both pairs ruled the
heart of music lovers for quite some time. Anu Malik was giving absolute
cacophony earning them pure hatred but then they discovered themselves
with telefilm Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayi in 1993 and started winning the
hearts of listeners.

And that was the time when a new star has risen in music sky. His name
is ARR.
--

Those who love several of RDB's albums are the ones who hate dozens of
his (RDB's) remaining albums. So, I think it was LP last, who had

With this rough indicative history, if RDB's era ended by 1985, those
who were 15-30 at that time would be around 39-54 now. Seeing the posts
in this list you might not realize, but I think there would be quite a
few members here in that age range or approaching that. And they are
here because they love ARR's music.

--
Rawat
  • ... Chord
    • ... Leslie D
      • ... Nagaraj
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... jibandevta
            • ... V S Rawat
          • ... Vinayakam Murugan
          • ... Leslie D
            • ... $ Pavan Kumar $
        • ... jibandevta
      • ... Nagaraj
      • ... Jahanzeb Farooq
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .