well said. my father (in his late 60s) is also fond of music and used to listen
those timeless songs of Lata, Rafi, Mukesh and Noor Jehan all the time. in fact
he has talked to me about ARR 3-4 times that "there is this famous music
composer A R Rahman, I have heard a lot about him, how is he and what kind of
music he gives" etc. however i am always afraid of giving him CD of ARR's songs
as i know he would not like it much as he still loves that old kind of music
where more emphasis was put on vocals and poetry than music. in fact we watched
JA together and during Khwaja mere khwaja as I mentioned that music is by ARR,
he said I did not see anything special (sadly enough. may because it was in bad
quality. also we know that ARR's music grows but he does not). anyways still I
plan to present him best of ARR collection soon some day including some of
those of his songs which he will most probably like e.g. recent examples
Arziyan (D6), Zindagi (Yuvraaj) etc.

besides this i must say that your father's choice is good. Suraj huwa madham
(my personal favorite since long time) and Teri ore are favorites of most of
the people I know. O saathiya is my wife's favorite though I never found it
special. btw if someone else not has already cleared, O saathiya (it is from
film Saaya) is not by Anu Malik, it is by M M Kareem, one of the immensely
talented but terribly underrated music composers of our times. he was a guest
composer, the rest is by Anu.

-
Jahanzeb

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Leslie D <dorai...@...> wrote:

> You nailed it. My father is now in his early 60s. I have always known him as
> a big music lover. He can recognize almost all Rafi, Kishore, Manna Dey,
>  Lata and old Malayalam songs. I gifted him an iPod loaded with lots of
> songs. Mostly he still listens to old songs. Yes one of new songs gets him
> really excited. The ones that he liked recently are 1.O Sathiya - From a
> John Abraham moview - Anu Malik composition
> 2. Instrumental from Jhoom Barabar Jhoom
> 3. Suraj Hua Madham - KKKG
> 4. Teri Ore from Singh is King
>
> For a big ARR fan that I am, I would have loved to see him fall in love with
> an ARR song. But somehow he doesnt seem to appreciate. But that doesnt mean
> I dislike his choice of music. I just wonder what the songs mentioned above
> clicked big time with him but all ARR songs failed to do do. His
> appreciation is no certification of Anu Maliks talent either. Sometimes you
> just cant understand why somebody loves something. Respect every persons
> individuality. Like Pyarelalji my dad doesnt think ARR is any great shakes
> but he is happy that ARR has won an Oscar.
>
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Chord <purev...@...> wrote:
>
> >   After reading Jagjit Singh's, Pyarelal's and Ali Khan's comments about
> > ARR and his music, it also struck me the big generational differences
> > in terms of attitudes and exposure towards music. Personally, I have
> > found that even with people I know, like my parents and their friends,
> > their appreciation for music is within a narrow range. Anything
> > outside that range is overlooked and not appreciated as much, and
> > sometimes ridiculed. I have found that amongst many elders, there is
> > a certain arrogance or haughtiness implying, "we know what's best".
> > This is a product of our culture revering elders and their wisdom by
> > tradition in contrast to many seniors and elders feeling left out and
> > disrespected by attitudinal changes in today's world reflecting less
> > respect and reverie towards seniors.
> >
> > For example, when I gave my parents a copy of the D6 CD, they only
> > liked the folk and semi-classical elements of the soundtrack. That's
> > it. When I asked them about Jaane Tu, they said that they didn't like
> > the music, although they love and appreciate ARR's other works that
> > are more in line with their taste. Of course, even within elders,
> > there will be a lot of variation in terms of taste and attitude, but
> > overall, I feel that they are more narrow minded about music than we
> > youngsters are OVERALL AS A GROUP, keeping in mind individual
> > differences. Because ARR's music is so diverse and touching upon so
> > many different genres, a large percentage of his work is not going to
> > be appreciated by those with more narrow minded definitions of good
> > music.
> >
> > Who knows, maybe when we reach that age, we too may reflect some of
> > that narrow mindedness in terms of our exposure compared to what the
> [...]

  • ... Leslie D
    • ... Nagaraj
      • ... V S Rawat
        • ... jibandevta
          • ... V S Rawat
        • ... Vinayakam Murugan
        • ... Leslie D
          • ... $ Pavan Kumar $
      • ... jibandevta
    • ... Nagaraj
    • ... Jahanzeb Farooq
      • ... V S Rawat
        • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
        • ... Chord