I have to agree with most of the stuff being said. Many people compare ARR
with yesteryear composers. When they do , the compare their best songs with
ARR's experimentation-gone-bad songs. While I dont like the idea of
comparing composers of different era, this kind of sampling really pisses me
off.

BTW, Laxmikanth Pyarelal era didnt really end in 1981. They had huge hits
all the way till 1992 (Khalnayak - Choli ke peeche. Was played in the
parliament LOL). They were probably on top of the game for the longest
period. Parasmani (1963) to Khalnayak (1993). They had big hits even in the
late 80s. (Khuda Gawah, Ram Lakhan, Hum, Tezaab)

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:02 AM, V S Rawat <vsra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   On 3/6/2009 7:21 AM India Time, _Nagaraj_ wrote:
>
> > My Dad is 50 and he loves ARR.
>
> > He was a IR/MSV fan in his youth. But after lagaan he became a ARR
> > fan.
> >
> > Songs he loves. Guru -> tera bina. Lagaan -> full Swades -> yeh
> > tara,aahista,yeh jo des. Rhythm,Sivaji,Lagaan,12ka4.
> >
> > However he hasnt developed an ear for smthng like Bose/Water.
> >
> > Would like to know wat the middle aged and older group feel abt ARR.
> > Especially the people above 45 as their prime(15-30) would have been
> > during RD Burman/Illyaraja/MS Vishwanathan.
>
> Before Anu Malik and Nadeem Sharavan, the last undisputed ruler of
> bollywood music was Laxmikant Pyarelal and his era has ended by 1981 (Ek
> Duje Ke Liye, Kranti, Naseeb, prem rog, hero). But, while LP mostly used
> more Indian instruments (dholak, tabla, harmonium), RDB was the master
> at western instruments so RDB was the obvious choice for producers who
> were targeting youths in their movies.
>
> My impression is that though R D Burman was popular for quite a
> long time (Kishna Shah took him for Shalimar, that was quite a credit in
> those days), the signal-to-noise ratio in RDB's music was the worst
> among all bollywood MDs, even worse than Anu malik. By that, I mean to
> say that RDB had given many more junk songs than he had given good songs.
>
> Luckily, Junk songs disappeared without a trace and current generation
> gets to hear only his surviving good songs, so they think he was all
> around great. It was not so. I can say that while ARR has consistent
> creativity and experimentation, RDB was a case of creativity and
> experimentation gone haywire. His several songs lik Samandar Mein Naha
> Ke Aur Bhi Namkeen Ho Gayi ho, and Dhoop Mein Nikla Na karo Roop Ki Rani
> sounded a pain on the ears and head. He would give one good album and 4
> sickening albums. So, RDB was a big name for quite some, but I think he
> was never a ruling no. 1 of bollywood like Anu Malik or Nadeem Sharavan
> or LP or Shankaj Jaikishan or Naushad had been from time to time.
>
> I think Shaan, 1980 was one of their last big budget film of their era
> that too flopped. After giving 10-15 films each year in 80-85, they went
> single digit for a few years and were soon bygone by 1989.
>
> So, you can say that RDB's era ended by 1983-85.
>
> And then, first Anand Milind appeared with Lal Dupatta Malmal Ka and
> then Nadeem Shravan had appeared with Aashiqi and both pairs ruled the
> heart of music lovers for quite some time. Anu Malik was giving absolute
> cacophony earning them pure hatred but then they discovered themselves
> with telefilm Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayi in 1993 and started winning the
> hearts of listeners.
>
> And that was the time when a new star has risen in music sky. His name
> is ARR.
> --
>
> Those who love several of RDB's albums are the ones who hate dozens of
> his (RDB's) remaining albums. So, I think it was LP last, who had
> [...]
  • ... Chord
    • ... Leslie D
      • ... Nagaraj
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... jibandevta
            • ... V S Rawat
          • ... Vinayakam Murugan
          • ... Leslie D
            • ... $ Pavan Kumar $
        • ... jibandevta
      • ... Nagaraj
      • ... Jahanzeb Farooq
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
            • ... Shamil Sharif