Very good article Rawat..the analysis is wonderfull..BTW liked the line:
"And that was the time when a new star has risen in music sky. His name is ARR."

and the name is still rulllllllllinnnnng and will rule forever

Regards
-jiban
"jai ho"

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, V S Rawat <vsra...@...> wrote:

> On 3/6/2009 7:21 AM India Time, _Nagaraj_ wrote:
>
> > My Dad is 50  and he loves ARR.
>
> > He was a IR/MSV fan in his youth. But after lagaan he became a ARR
> > fan.
> >
> > Songs he loves. Guru -> tera bina. Lagaan -> full Swades -> yeh
> > tara,aahista,yeh jo des. Rhythm,Sivaji,Lagaan,12ka4.
> >
> > However he hasnt developed an ear for smthng like Bose/Water.
> >
> > Would like to know wat the middle aged and older group feel abt ARR.
> > Especially the people above 45 as their prime(15-30) would have been
> > during RD Burman/Illyaraja/MS Vishwanathan.
>
> Before Anu Malik and Nadeem Sharavan, the last undisputed ruler of
> bollywood music was Laxmikant Pyarelal and his era has ended by 1981 (Ek
> Duje Ke Liye, Kranti, Naseeb, prem rog, hero). But, while LP mostly used
> more Indian instruments (dholak, tabla, harmonium), RDB was the master
> at western instruments so RDB was the obvious choice for producers who
> were targeting youths in their movies.
>
> My impression is that though R D Burman was popular for quite a
> long time (Kishna Shah took him for Shalimar, that was quite a credit in
> those days), the signal-to-noise ratio in RDB's music was the worst
> among all bollywood MDs, even worse than Anu malik. By that, I mean to
> say that RDB had given many more junk songs than he had given good songs.
>
> Luckily, Junk songs disappeared without a trace and current generation
> gets to hear only his surviving good songs, so they think he was all
> around great. It was not so. I can say that while ARR has consistent
> creativity and experimentation, RDB was a case of creativity and
> experimentation gone haywire. His several songs lik Samandar Mein Naha
> Ke Aur Bhi Namkeen Ho Gayi ho, and Dhoop Mein Nikla Na karo Roop Ki Rani
> sounded a pain on the ears and head. He would give one good album and 4
> sickening albums. So, RDB was a big name for quite some, but I think he
> was never a ruling no. 1 of bollywood like Anu Malik or Nadeem Sharavan
> or LP or Shankaj Jaikishan or Naushad had been from time to time.
>
> I think Shaan, 1980 was one of their last big budget film of their era
> that too flopped. After giving 10-15 films each year in 80-85, they went
> single digit for a few years and were soon bygone by 1989.
>
> So, you can say that RDB's era ended by 1983-85.
>
> And then, first Anand Milind appeared with Lal Dupatta Malmal Ka and
> then Nadeem Shravan had appeared with Aashiqi and both pairs ruled the
> heart of music lovers for quite some time. Anu Malik was giving absolute
> cacophony earning them pure hatred but then they discovered themselves
> with telefilm Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayi in 1993 and started winning the
> hearts of listeners.
>
> And that was the time when a new star has risen in music sky. His name
> is ARR.
> --
>
> Those who love several of RDB's albums are the ones who hate dozens of
> his (RDB's) remaining albums. So, I think it was LP last, who had
> [...]

  • ... Chord
    • ... Leslie D
      • ... Nagaraj
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... jibandevta
            • ... V S Rawat
          • ... Vinayakam Murugan
          • ... Leslie D
            • ... $ Pavan Kumar $
        • ... jibandevta
      • ... Nagaraj
      • ... Jahanzeb Farooq
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
            • ... Shamil Sharif